12 Reasons Canadian Photographers should Enter InFocus Photo
October is one of my favorite times of year – and not because of the beautiful autumn colors or because of Halloween. I love it because I get to see a great deal of amazing photography! Being a visual person, this is like Christmas!
I curate InFocus Photography Exhibition and Awards. Every year, the deadline for submissions falls at the end of October. This year, the deadline for photographers to enter their images is:
THIS SUNDAY, October 29, 2017 at 11:59 pm
The mission of InFocus Photo is to promote and exhibit innovative, thoughtful and provocative photography created by Canadian contemporary image-makers.
There are LOTS of reasons to submit to InFocus, but here are my top twelve.
12 Reasons Canadian Photographers should enter InFocus Photo Exhibit:
- Build your CV.
- Exhibit at the Renaissance Hotel with international exposure (it’s connected to the Edmonton International Airport).
- Get known in western Canada as a part of Exposure Photography Festival.
- Participate in the People’s Choice Award online voting with cash prize from Vistek.
- NEW Award for an Emerging Photographer from PhotoED Magazine.
- Become a part of the distinguished InFocus Alumni.
- Network with other professionals. (It’s all about who you know!)
- Be a volunteer and get experience mounting an exhibition.
- Attend the opening reception with live music awards ceremony, & curator talk about YOUR work.
- Participate in the portfolio reviews with art dealers, curators, and magazine editors!
- Be inspired by the best of Canadian Photography!
- Sell your work!
NEXT LEVEL THEME
The theme of InFocus 2018 is “NEXT LEVEL.” This is a broad theme, open to interpretation. We want to know how you take your photography to the next level. Photographers are invited to submit work that relates to this theme in some way.
Show us how you make your photography stand out through:
1. NEXT LEVEL techniques
2. NEXT LEVEL aesthetics
3. NEXT LEVEL concepts
Here are some questions to consider in your submission:
- What do you have to say – and in what unique way are you saying it?
- How does your photography provoke your viewers?
- What innovative techniques are you using or what old processes are you making new again?
- How are you approaching the visual in fresh, original ways?
“NEXT LEVEL” is an abstract theme. We believe it can speak to all photographers, whatever the subject matter or style, including fine art, portraiture, nature, urban landscapes, editorial, commercial, conceptual, documentary, journalistic, social commentary, architectural, still life, wildlife, travel, multi-medium, three dimensional, and beyond.
I look forward to seeing many more images over this next week and curating them during November. I am thankful for the platform InFocus has provided for so many emerging and professional photographers. Truly, I encourage anyone to enter – from student to seasoned pro alike. InFocus is a great opportunity for all Canadian photographers.
Alexis Marie Chute